- Identify an important relationship in your life and explain the role of eye contact in expressing emotion, managing conversation, and signaling the condition of the
- Complete the Self-Quiz “Are You an M-Time or a P-Time Person?” on page 227. What do the results suggest about your personal time orientation? What is the interpersonal impact of your personal time orientation?
- How often do you touch others? If you were to increase the amount of touch you use with others, would it have any effect? How might understanding the functions of touch help you improve your use of touch in personal and professional relationships?
- Choose one of the nonverbal gender difference research findings that you most identify with and explain how it helps you in understanding your own nonverbal behavior. (Based on the Self-Reflection question on p. 214.)
- Think about your reaction to others’ voices. Provide an example of a person’s voice to which you react strongly. What is the impression—negative or positive? Why? Is it ethical to judge someone based solely on his or her voice? Why or why not? Do you know if you have ever been a victim of linguistic profiling?
- Think about your own proxemics. Who are you most likely to allow in your intimate space? personal space? social space? public space?
- Think of a situation in which you were able to discern meaning from nonverbal communication despite mixed messages—for instance, a circumstance in which you realized that someone conveyed a bad mood despite claiming to be happy, or vice versa. Why did the person’s nonverbal communication cause you to doubt the veracity of his or her verbal communication? What causes us to send mixed messages? (Based on the Self-Reflection question on p. 213.)